Gamblin : Gamsol Odourless Mineral Spirit : 500ml
- Used for thinning oil colours
- Useful for modifying painting mediums
- Practical for studio clean up: brushes, palettes and palette knives
- Widely used in oil painting tutorials because there are no solvent odours
Gamsol is the safest solvent that allows oil painters to utilise all traditional painting techniques without compromise.
Primary Uses for Gamsol:
- Thinning oil colors. A little goes a long way; stiff oil colors relax immediately when a little Gamsol is added. Be careful not to thin oil colors too much with solvent alone, this can compromise the ability of the paint to form a paint film.
- Modifying painting mediums. Gamblin's Galkyd line of painting mediums is formulated with Gamsol, so they readily accept Gamsol as a thinning agent. Note: Gamsol should not be added to painting mediums made with natural resins (dammar, copal, mastic). They require strong solvents such as turpentine.
- Studio clean up: brushes, palettes, palette knives, etc.
How does Gamsol achieve this level of performance and safety? Most solvents available to artists come from the industrial paint industry where solvent power and cheapness is prized. Gamsol is special: it is made for products and processes that come into more intimate contact with the body such as cosmetics, hand cleaners, and cleaning food service equipment.
Gamsol is a petroleum distillate but all the aromatic solvents have been refined out of it, less than .005% remains. Aromatic solvents are the most harmful types of petroleum solvents.
These facts are detailed in the MSDS for Gamsol, this document shows that it has an Exposure Limit Value higher than most solvents available to artists.
All of these factors have lead to Gamsol being used widely in oil painting classrooms; in those classes there are no solvent odours, only the wonderful smell of oil colors.
View PDF Gamblin Gamsol Safety Data Sheet
Please note, we cannot send by air mail anything which is hazardous and above 250ml; anything flammable or toxic; any aerosols, unless by special order. However, we may be able to arrange another means of shipping your order. Please contact our customer services department if you would like to discuss this.
|To use with||Oil|
|Shipping Restriction (Haz)||Yes|
|Animal Derived Ingredient||None|